Crunchy Mint Chocolate Cream
Do you like desserts? Do you like Crème Brulée? Do you like minty things? Mint and chocolate? If the answer to all these question is 'yes' then you have to try this! It is a kind of crème brulée with the caramel topping exchanged for a layer of dark chocolate. It gives you a similar crackling effect on the top with a melt in the mouth chocolate and mint flavour.
Ingredients for 4:
350ml whipping cream,
80g caster sugar,
5 egg yolks,
15 fresh mint leaves,
2 tablespoons of mint syrup,
50g dark chocolate
a few drops natural mint oil (optional).
1. In a saucepan, heat milk, cream and mint leaves over low heat. Add the mint syrup and infuse off the heat a few more minutes.
2. Meanwhile, add the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until the mixture whitens.
3. Strain the hot cream through a sieve into the egg-sugar mixture, stirring well to mix everything smoothly together.
4. Rest the cream in a suitable container, at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
5. Divide the cream into four small pots and arrange them in a dish filled halfway with hot water. Place the dish in the oven for about 45 minutes to 1 h (depending on the capacity of small pots). The cream should still be trembling in the middle.
6. Once cooked leave the creams to cool to room temperature, then put them in the fridge to cool thoroughly.
7. When the creams are cold, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. If using, add a few drops of neutral mint oil and stir it into the chocolate.
8. Using a brush, coat each one with a thin layer of chocolate.
9. Put the creams back into the fridge until the chocolate is solid, that takes at least 15 minutes.