Kerstin's Lighter Parmesan Schnitzel with Easy Tomato Sauce
Today we had one of our favourites. The turkey stays moist and tender in the crust enriched with grated parmesan cheese. It is complimented with a nice tomato sauce and makes a proper Sunday dinner. Serve it with spicy carrot, pepper and onion pan fried vegetables and a green salad for a healthy, yet very delicious meal.
Ingredients for 4:
80g homemade bread crumbs,
60g Parmesan cheese, finely grated,
2 tablespoon plain flour, a pinch garlic granules,
3 large egg whites, beaten,
1 tablespoon water,
4 turkey steaks or chicken breasts, boneless and skinless,
2-3 potatoes, sliced in half, microwaved for 4 minutes,
vegetable spraying oil.
For the simple tomato sauce:
2 tablespoon fresh basil, shredded,
1x420g tin chopped tomatoes,
2 cloves garlic, minced,
1 tablespoon . tomato paste,
1 teaspoon olive oil,
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210°C/Gas 6. Combine the bread crumbs and the grated parmesan on a shallow dish. Microwave the potatoes.2. In a second shallow dish, combine the flour, garlic powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together. In a third shallow dish, whisk the egg whites and water together.
3. Pat dry the turkey with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip into the egg whites, and finally coat with the bread crumbs, Press on the bread crumbs to make sure they adhere. Repeat the process to form a thick crust of breadcrumbs and parmesan. Lay the turkey on a pizza tray. Do that with all four steaks.
4. Spray the tops of the turkey with vegetable oil spray. Put into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the bread crust is golden brown.
5. Place the microwaved potatoes onto a baking tray and spray them with some vegetable oil and salt them slightly. Place into the oven with the turkey and bake until golden brown and crunchy.
5. For the simple tomato sauce; pulse the tomatoes in a food processor until mostly smooth; set aside. Cook the garlic, tomato paste, oil, and pepper flakes in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the tomato paste begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomatoes and cook until the sauce is thickened. Season with salt, pepper, chilli flakes and sugar. Add a tablespoonful of dried mixed herbs for an Italian taste. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes. Before serving add the basil. Cover and set aside until needed.